Level 3 BTEC – Sport and Exercise Science
Do you have an interest in sport, exercise and physical activity? Or perhaps youāre curious how science can enhance human performance or its impact on sports teamsā performance on the big screen? Then why not consider sport and exercise sciences as a career ā¦
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
If you take a stroll through the college, youāll be amazed at the range of outstanding facilities and resources available to our sport and sport science students. Being part of The East Manchester regeneration project allows us access to some of the worldās best sporting facilities including; The Manchester Institute of Health and Performance, The National Squash Centre, City of Manchester Gymnastics, The National Cycling Centre, Manchester Regional Arena, Etihad Campus, The Regional Tennis Centre and the new East Manchester Leisure Centre. As part of your sport science qualiļ¬cation, you will be exposed to innovative, research-led and applied curriculum in a range of world-class facilities in East Manchester.
Across the two-year programme you will study a total of 18 units:
- Anatomy for Sport and Exercise
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Research Methods for Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Research Project in Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sport Biomechanics in Action
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Sport and Exercise Massage
- Sports Nutrition
- Current Issues in Sport
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Sports Injuries
- Sports Coaching
- Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Exercise for Specific Groups
- Laboratory and experimental methods in Sport and Exercise Science
You will become familiar with a variety of testing procedures and will be able to replicate them under scientific conditions. You will gain clinical skills in order to be proficient in the preparation, testing, data handling and critical analysis of applied assessment methods. From the data produced through practical field and laboratory based testing, you will profile a selected sports performer. You will also explore all components of consultation, assessment and sports massage, in order to safely and effectively plan and conduct a treatment plan for sports performers.
You will also complete additional Level 3 qualifications that will run in and alongside your BTEC qualification such as:
- First Aid
- Sports Massage
- Taping and Kinesiology
- Level 1 coaching qualifications.
You will complete 18 units across the two years you study on the course. You will be assessed by a range of methods including practical and theoretical based assessments and presentations. .
To study BTEC Sport and Exercise Science, you will need 5 GCSEs grade 4 or above, including English and Maths. We would prefer you to have a GCSE in PE.
FUTURE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES:
In addition to the sport and exercise science sector speciļ¬c content, the requirements of the qualiļ¬cation mean students develop the transferable and higher order skills that are highly regarded by both HE and employers.
The qualiļ¬cation is intended to carry UCAS points and is recognised by HE providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses, for example:
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Science
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Coaching Studies