Are you interested in the effects of exercise upon performance? Do you enjoy scientific and biological approaches to sport? Are you a keen athlete and participate to a high level? If so, A-Level Physical Education may be the perfect subject for you ā¦
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
A Level Physical Education will equip learners with both a depth and breadth of knowledge, understanding, and skills relating to scientific, socio-cultural and practical aspects of physical education. During this two year programme you will:
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance.
- Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance.
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence peopleās involvement in physical activity and the role of technology in physical activity and sport.
- Refine your ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas.
- Analyse and evaluate to improve your own practical performance in one chosen sport.
There are regular practical assessments and visits to the Manchester Institute of health and performance. Alongside this, visits to Manchester City Football Club and East Manchester Leisure Centre.
You will sit three exams at the end of your second year. The exams are worth 75% of your overall qualification. There is a practical coursework element to this subject worth 35%.
FUTURE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES:
The majority of PE students go on to Higher Education, studying subjects such as Sport Science, Sport Coaching or Physical Education and teaching. However, the skills that you will gain during these two years will be transferrable to a number of subjects at undergraduate level, as well as a number of different career pathways.
To study an A-level programme you will need to achieve 5 GCSEs gradeĀ 4 or above, including English and Maths. To be successful on this course, you need to be physically fit and perform to a high school/club and county level or above. We prefer that you have studied GCSE PE.
This subject will take two years to complete.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org